WalkND is the University of Notre Dame’s free official walking club. Take your first step on the path to good health and learn more about the benefits of a regular walking routine. Turning walking into part of a daily ritual, coupled with a nutritious diet, can reduce the risk of conditions such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and osteoporosis.
Spring 2017 competition
New year, healthier you! Join WalkND this spring semester for a fitness challenge that is sure to keep you motivated throughout these long winter months! Our challenge is walking a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail. The trail extends from Mexico to Canada through California, Oregon, and Washington. We will be walking from Campo (Mexican border) to Agua Dulce for a total of 454.5 miles (909,000 steps) over the course of 14 weeks. The program will run January 30 - May 7 and will include challenges for the chance to win prizes!
Participants will track their steps using a personal fitness tracker or a pedometer (provided for free if you need one) to track their daily steps. Steps will be recorded weekly using a Google spreadsheet provided via email to participants.
Click here to view a PDF of the trail challenge!
How to register for WalkND
Visit RecRegister to sign up for WalkND. This is a free program.
You will receive an email from Brittany Brandt indicating that you have officially registered for WalkND.
Start tracking those steps!
Check out the weekly challenges!
Week 1 (January 30 - February 5)
- Walk to or farther than Lake Morena (20 miles, 40,000 steps) this week to get entered in a drawing
- PRIZE ALERT: winner gets a free entry to Pink Zone
Week 2 (February 6 - 12)
- Walk at least 5,000 steps a day and get entered into a drawing done at the end of the 12 weeks
Week 3 (February 13 - 19)
- Walk to or farther than Scissors Crossing (77 miles, 154,000 steps) over the course of the first 3 weeks to be entered into a drawing
- PRIZE ALERT: winner gets a fitness prize pack
Week 4 (February 20 - 26)
- Show yourself some love this week! Stop by the RSRC to walk on the indoor track and receive a Valentine’s Day gift
- Walk 6,000 steps a day (or more) to get entered into the grand prize drawing
Week 5 (February 27 - March 5)
- Take the number of steps you completed last week and do 2,000 more steps this week
- PRIZE ALERT: complete this challenge to get entered into a drawing
Week 6 (March 6 - 12)
- Walk at least 6,000 steps a day and get entered into the final drawing
Week 7 (March 13 - 19)
- Walk to or farther than Cabazon (209.5 miles, 419,000 steps) to be entered into a drawing
- PRIZE ALERT: winner gets a Notre Dame prize pack
Week 8 (March 20 - 26)
- Walk at least 7,000 steps a day and get entered into the final drawing
Week 9 (March 27 - April 2)
- Walk to or farther than Big Bear (266 miles, 532,000 steps) to get entered into a drawing
- PRIZE ALERT: winner gets a prize
Week 10 (April 3 - 9)
- Walk at least 8,000 steps a day and get entered into the final drawing
Week 11 (April 10 - 16)
- Walk at least 9,000 steps a day and get entered into the final drawing
Week 12 (April 17 - 23)
- GROUP MEETUP: Tuesday, April 18 from 12:15 - 12:45 p.m.
Week 13 (April 24 - 30)
- Walk at least 10,000 steps a day and get entered into the final drawing
Week 14 (May 1 - 7)
- Walk to or farther than our final destination, Agua Dulce (454.5 miles, 909,000 steps) to get entered into the grand prize drawing
- GROUP MEETUP: Thursday, May 4 from 12:15 - 12:45 p.m. PRIZE ALERT: get a prize for joining us!
Notre Dame Fitness Routes
Click here to download a PDF of campus fitness routes at the University of Notre Dame.