Lifeguard Certification Course
RecSports is offering the newest release of the American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Course (r.2017). Participants who successfully complete the course will be awarded the American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification that is valid for 2 years.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breastroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Actively participate in all course activities, including assuming various roles during scenarios
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills, activities, and final rescue scenarios.
- Pass the final skills scenarios
- Successfully pass final written exams with a minimum grade of 80%. If a participants fails to reach the minimum 80% on the final written exam, one retest will be allowed.
- This is NOT a blended learning course. All course components will be taught in person
Registration will open April 1 at 9:00 a.m. and closes April 21 at 5:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 21, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday, April 22, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, April 23, Noon - 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, April 29, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Sunday, April 30, Noon - 6:00 p.m.
- Notre Dame community: For Notre Dame community, registration is via RecRegister. Notre Dame students, faculty, and staff may use their netID and password to log in to RecRegister. Spouses must email email@example.com to create an online account. Once you have received your login information, you will be able to register online via RecRegister.
- Non-Notre Dame community: For 1st time community members, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to create an online account. Once you have received your login information, you will be able to register online via RecRegister.
University of Notre Dame RecRegister accepts Visa, MasterCard, and Discover with online registration.