Lifeguard Certification - Blended Learning
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over. The blended learning offering is designed to provide a flexible online learning environment for the knowledge-based aspects of the lifeguarding course, along with videos demonstrating the skills that participants will practice and master during the facility portion of the training.
Spring 2016 Offerings
|Dates & Days||Time||Instructor||Location||Price||Registration|
|Feb. 20 - 21 (SAT & SUN)||9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Sarah||Rockne 110 & Rockne Pool||$135||Register by Feb. 17|
|Apr. 16 - 17 (SAT & SUN)||9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.||Sarah||Rockne 110 & Rockne Pool||$135||Register by Apr. 13|
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl (freestyle), breastroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet first or head first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so you are able to get a breath.
- Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Complete all eLearning Units.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills, activities, and final rescue scenarios.
- Pass Section 1--Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with minimum grades of 80%.
- Online time:: 7 hours, 25 minutes
- Facility time: 19 hours, 30 minutes
Total course commitment: 26 hours, 55 minutes
- You will receive an email with the online course information within 24 hours of registering on RecRegister.
- Must complete the online portion of the class prior to the first day of the course.
You are encouraged to register as early as possible so you have more time to complete the 7.5 hour online course content.
- Notre Dame community: For Notre Dame community, registration is via RecRegister. Notre Dame students, faculty, and staff may use their netID and password to log in to RecRegister. Spouses must email firstname.lastname@example.org to create an online account. Once you have received your login information, you will be able to register online via RecRegister.
- Non-Notre Dame community: For 1st time community members, please email email@example.com to create an online account. Once you have received your login information, you will be able to register online via RecRegister.
University of Notre Dame RecRegister accepts Visa, Mastercard, and Discover with online registration.