RecSports Reopening Plan
Last updated 6/21/21 at 12:10 p.m.
Summer 2021 Updates
This plan is subject to change depending on when and how the university addresses and implements updated policies and procedures.
- RecSports will continue to suspend the towel service and use of day lockers and locker rooms, with plans to resume operations in August for the fall semester.
- RecSports will also continue to use the Gymnasium inside the Smith Center for cycling classes and individual/dual activities (table tennis, pickleball), with the intent to review this policy for plans to resume operations in August for the fall semester.
Indoor mask use eased
Because of our high rates of vaccination, low campus case rates, and St. Joseph County’s improved case rates, those who are fully vaccinated by one of the three vaccines approved in the United States (Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Johnson & Johnson) do not need to wear their masks indoors, effective June 3. For those who are not vaccinated, to support the health of our community, we ask you to continue wearing masks indoors and encourage you to sign up for surveillance testing if you are regularly coming to campus.
Availability of programs for Summer 2021
|Virtual Group Fitness Classes||Summer classes began June 1 – click here for classes|
|In-Person Group Fitness Classes||Summer classes began June 1 – click here for classes|
|F.A.S.T. (Faculty & Staff Training) Classes||Summer classes began June 1 – click here for classes|
Click here for upcoming classes
|Personal Training||Virtual and in-person training available – click here for info|
|Intramural Sports||Registration schedule posted for summer – click here for info|
What is available for use inside RecSports facilities
Smith Center for Recreational Sports
What is OPEN?
What is UNAVAILABLE?
|Cardio & weight area on 3rd floor
|Weight equipment on 3rd & 4th floor
|Bridge unit (4th floor)||Track – for walking/jogging|
|Gymnasium for fitness classes & table tennis||
SYNRGY unit (3rd floor)
|Equipment checkout – table tennis paddles & balls||Activity Studios|
|Activity Studios – club reservations & classes|
|Personal Fitness Studios|
|Water fountains to fill your bottles|
The Rockne Memorial Lap & Therapy Pools will be the only spaces available for use during the summer months in the Rockne Memorial. The Pools have reopened for the summer as of June 2.
What we are doing to keep safe
Physical Distancing Efforts
- Equipment has been relocated throughout our facilities to maintain physical distance by using a 113 sq./ft. per equipment/user space.
- Group Fitness and F.A.S.T. Class participants are required to be 113 sq./ft. apart.
- Furniture previously utilized for social gathering spaces have been removed.
- Throughout our facilities, distance marks are designated on floor for workout spaces adhering to 113 sq./ft. per user space area.
- Electrostatic guns used with a quaternary chemical for cleaning/sanitation are being utilized throughout the day when RecSports are closed, in addition to pressurized spray bottles with quaternary and general-purpose cleaner.
- Participants are asked to clean before, and after each use, on any equipment they utilize during their time at RecSports facilities.
- RecSports staff members clean equipment thoroughly throughout the day, as well as any time that our facilities are open.
- RecSports has designated various times throughout the day that deep cleaning procedures (spraying every piece of equipment, electrostatic sprayers used on common areas and high touch surfaces) are performed to ensure that our users are entering a clean and safe environment.
- Hand sanitizer stations are located throughout each RecSports facility.
- HERE, everyone does their part to clean, and maintain a safe environment.
Access to RecSports facilities
Access via Irish1Card
RecSports facilities are open to those individuals of the Notre Dame community with a valid Irish1Card.
In order to prevent exposure to the on-campus Notre Dame community, the purchase of guest passes and admittance of visitors is suspended until further notice.
Activities for drop-in recreation are currently set up inside the Gymnasiums located inside the Smith Center for Recreational Sports. Equipment for these activities may be requested at the Front Desk.
Reservations required for utilizing RecSports facilities
- Users are required to sign-up for a one hour designated time slot to utilize RecSports facilities on RecRegister.
- Arriving to RecSports facilities: When accessing the Smith Center for Recreational Sports users arriving early are prohibited from entering the 3rd floor until their reserved time and will be encouraged to wait in their vehicles or on the lower levels of the Duncan Student Center. When accessing Rockne Memorial, users arriving early are prohibited from entering the building until their reserved time and are encouraged to wait in their vehicles or wait outside the facility.
- Users are required to wait in a cueing line (designated by ‘stand here’ markers on the floor) outside the main doors of the designated facility before being admitted for their reserved time slots.
- Users must check-in at the Front Desk. At check-in, users must show their Green Pass from the Daily Health Check, and provide their name and reservation time. At check-in, users must “tap” their Irish1Card and provide their name to staff so their reservation can be confirmed. Once confirmed, the user may enter the space. Users will check-in at the Front Desk. At check-in, users must show their Green Pass from the Daily Health Check, and provide their name and reservation time. Once the staff has checked the participant in, they may “tap” their Irish1Card to enter the space. Upon exit, users are required to ‘tap out’ with their Irish1Card.
- Users that try to utilize the space outside of their designated reservation time will not be granted access to the designated facility.
How to make reservations for utilizing RecSports facilities
Notre Dame students, faculty, staff, retirees and spouses may use their netID and password to log into their RecRegister account.
In order to reserve a spot via RecRegister, spouses who have not already set up a RecRegister account must click here to request a spouse account creation.
- Click on Facility Access Reservation.
- Click on the location that you would like to make your reservation.
Find the date and time that you would like to attend and click Register.
Please note: Time slots only appear when the time is 72 hours or more prior.
- This will display an Adult Facility Access Waiver. Read through the waiver and scroll to the bottom. If you agree to the terms of the waiver, click the gray box to digitally sign the waiver. Sign the waiver in the box. Click Save.
- Click Sign Now.
- Add new emergency contact information by clicking Add a new Emergency Contact or if you already have an emergency contact entered, verify this information is correct. Once finished, click Continue.
- Read the Reservation Policies reminder and click Add to Cart.
- Verify that your program (building you are choosing to reserve a time slot for) and program instance (date/time of your reservation) is correct. If so, click Checkout. If not, click Remove and repeat steps 2-8 choosing the correct date and time and/or location for your reservation
- The Choose Payment Option menu will appear at the top of your screen. Click Checkout.
Once your reservation is processed, RecRegister will bring you to a confirmation screen. You will also receive two emails – one receipt (for $0 in this instance) and one registration confirmation.
RecSports Facility Reservations – No Show Policy
Effective as of February 22, RecSports has a new No-Show Policy that applies to any Notre Dame student, faculty, staff, retiree, or spouse that reserves a spot at a RecSports facility, but does not check-in and attend their reservation time.
Not checking in for your RecSports facility reservation will result in a formal warning. Warnings and no shows are cumulative for the semester.
A formal and final warning will be sent to a participant who has had a past no-show. If another no-show occurs, the loss of RecSports facility access will occur for two weeks (14 days).
A participant who has already received the consequences mentioned above and has a third no-show will lose all RecSports facility access for two weeks (14 days).
A participant who has already received the consequences mentioned above and no-shows for a fourth time will lose all access from RecSports facilities for the semester.
How to cancel reservations for utilizing RecSports facilities
Unable to make your reservation? Below are instructions on how to cancel your spot so it opens up a spot for another participant. Reservations may be cancelled up to 60 minutes prior to your reservation time.
Log into your RecRegister account.
- Click on your photo in the upper right corner of the screen to pull up a drop-down menu,
Click Programs from the menu on the left side of the screen.
- Find the registration that you would like to cancel and click on the three dots on the right side of the registration details to reveal a drop down menu (please note that the menu may require that you scroll down to see all of the options).
Click on Cancel Registration.
Ensure that the status for that registration is now listed as Cancelled.
Links to make reservation to utilize RecSports facilities
Please limit facility reservation to one facility reservation per person, per day.
|Area/Facility for Reservation||Link to Reserve your Time|
|Smith Center for Recreational Sports||
Click here to make reservation up to 72 hours in advance
|Rockne Memorial Lap Pool||
Click here to make reservation up to 72 hours in advance
|Rockne Memorial Therapy/Small Pool||
Click here to make reservation up to 72 hours in advance.
|Rockne Memorial Building||
CLOSED for the summer with exception of Pools
Lap Pool & Therapy Pool in Rockne Memorial
The Lap Pool is open in Rockne Memorial with a maximum capacity of 6, one per lane. The therapy pool has a maximum capacity of 1. Users must make reservations via one hour time slots on RecRegister.
- Swimming is the only activity permitted in lap pool; water jogging or other above-surface activities are not permitted at this time
- The balcony viewing spaces are closed for patron usage
- Congregating on the pool deck is prohibited; the pool deck is limited to swimmers and lifeguards only
- Changing into, or out of clothing is not permitted on the pool deck
- Spectating and instruction are prohibited during this time
- Users are discouraged from bringing personal items on deck outside of their own aquatic equipment (fins, goggles, kickboards, etc.)
Climbing & Bouldering Wall
Due to the limited nature of the space, the amount of high touch surfaces, as well as shared equipment, the Climbing & Bouldering Wall is closed until further notice.
St. Joseph Beach
The St. Joseph Beach is currently closed and is not available for use by the Notre Dame community.
In an effort to mitigate risk and minimize exposure to the Notre Dame community on campus, family hours at RecSports facilities are suspended until further notice.
Lost & Found
Lost & Found still operates as normal, though many items, such as water bottles, are discarded at the end of each day. Patrons may call the Front Desk of any facility or email email@example.com to ask about our lost and found inventory.
Click here to view a list of frequently asked questions as it relates to the operations of RecSports.
Click here to view a complete list of RecSports policies.